FoodWise TLC is a Christian based charity delivering food provision, training and education to local communities. We currently work in partnership with churches and community groups in and around Woking and Guildford in Surrey.
Even in these areas, regarded as well off, child poverty is recorded at 15% for Guildford and 16% for Woking. That’s nearly 1 in every 6 children! There are also pockets of deprivation, affecting other community members’ ability to eat healthily, including the elderly, disabled people and those with special dietary needs.
FoodWise seeks to relieve the impact of financial hardship through the provision of food coaching. On our free cookery skills training courses we teach people how to prepare and cook nutritional food on a restricted budget, which helps to:
- Build confidence in food preparation
- Strengthen cooking skills
- Make food budgets stretch further
- Expand nutritional food choices
- Improve health and well-being
All the equipment and food required for each cookery skills session is provided free of charge. Course participants get to take the meal they have prepared home with them.
Our work equips people to feed themselves and their families with delicious and nutritious meals for less
The Matrix Trust
With young people. For young people
The Matrix Trust is a great local charity aimed at supporting young people, especially those who are vulnerable, to reach their full potential. They are involved in supporting several local schools, run youth drop in centres and have a thriving mentoring programme.
CAP, Christians Against Poverty
Guildford Christians Against Poverty is part of the national CAP organsiation, working with clients who experience debt, unemployment , and addiction, and has been operating in Guildford since 2012.
We are passionate about releasing people in Guildford from a life sentence of debt, poverty and its causes. We also seek to help people improve their chances of finding employment, and to improve their life skills, Working with the church we bring good news, hope and freedom, and use opportunities to share the love of Jesus Christ.
How do we aim to do all these things?
- We are supported by 17 churches throughout Guildford, including Emmanuel.
- We are managed by a steering committee comprising members from partnership churches including Emmanuel.
- We meet weekly for prayer each Monday here at Emmanuel at 7.30pm.
- We operate from a base at URC Westborough Church, Guildford.
- We employ a paid Centre Manager and a volunteer Debt Coach.
- We recruit volunteers to act as befrienders who visit clients, and build relationships with them.
- We liaise closely with CAP HQ in Bradford who manage the clients’ debts.
- We operate a Job Club – a course designed to help equip the unemployed back into work.
- We are training volunteers to coach life skills.
- We run free social events for clients to engage with others.
Sweep away suffering.
Guildford Besom enables people to make a difference through practical work such as gardening,decorating and DIY and through giving good quality items, such as furniture, white goods, clothes, kitchen equipment and other household items.
Each week the Guildford Besom Van goes out picking up and delivering good quality items, and people come to sort clothes, crockery, toys, bedding and curtains.
Items that have been given include clothes, wardrobes, chest of drawers, beds, bedding, washing machines, microwaves, cookers, fridges, freezers, cuddly toys, TVs, dining tables, sofas and starter packs consisting of crockery, cutlery, kettles, and toasters.
Groups of people also get involved in decorating and gardening for the elderly, disabled and single parent families. Homes and gardens have been transformed in a day making a real difference to the quality of people’s lives.
Contact: 07929 037101
Friends International welcome non-UK students, researchers and university workers from any background or belief who have come to live in our beautiful town.
As Friends International Guildford we are part of Friends International Ministries, a UK based charity. We realise that life away from home in a foreign land and strange culture can be extremely hard, unsettling and emotionally challenging. In these situations developing friendships is key and we are here to help.